Sunday, January 15, 2012

What Is Your Favorite Time of the Year?

It finally feels like winter this weekend. COOOOLD!!!!! And that's fine with me. As long as we don't have snow, I'm fine. Really cold days, for me, are the best. The sun always seems to shine bright on the coldest days and, I need the sun! It's the same for real cold nights. Actually, it makes sense. When there is a cloud cover, it stays warmer, with the clouds acting as an insulator. The warmer air can't escape into the atmosphere. O.K., enough of my Jeff Fox impersonation!
My point is..... I don't like cloudy, snowy, rainy days and nights. It all equals "GLOOMY" for me. I am a spring, summer and early fall guy so, when it's winter.... the sun needs to shine. At night, I'm all about bright moons and star filled skies! If COLD is what comes with it, so be it.
I always relate the time of year with what I like to do best. I guess most everyone does.
In the spring it's all about planting, NASCAR, bass fishing, bonfires and barbecue. In the summer it's gardening, again... fishing, again..... NASCAR, picnics, riding the ATVs, again.... bonfires, being out in the yard, and enjoying the fact that it stays lite out until 8/8:30 at night. In the fall it's about hunting, firewood, harvesting and canning/freezing that harvest, again.... NASCAR and late season fishing. The other special things about fall are the smells of wet leaves and the comfort foods of the season like fresh picked apples and apple sauce, anything you harvest from the field and woods, pumpkin picking and pumpkin pie, and all of Tami's and Mom's fresh baked goods.
As far as winter goes, I want spring to come on December 26th! With the exception of ice fishing, which I definetly enjoy, and burying myself in seed catalogs, which lends itself to planning for the warm weather time of the year anyway, I want spring. Now don't get me wrong, being like most everyone else I know, I absolutely love Thanksgiving and Christmas. They are both all about friends and family. And oh boy is the food good that time of year!!!! And no matter what kind of year you are having, broke or profitable, easy or stressful, nothing is more heart warming to me than giving thanks over that stuffed bird or celebrating the birth of our Lord with the kids opening presents while their eyes are bulging out of their heads.
I guess for now, I will enjoy this bright, sunny and COLD winter day, waiting for the ice to form, and finishing up with the seed catalogs.    GO GIANTS!!!!!

What is your favorite time of the year....... and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment