Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Summer Time heat!

I'm heading out first thing this morning to the gardens. We will be coming very close to the 100 degree mark today, and I want to get out there before it gets too hot, and humid! And I'm more worried about the heat for my veggie plants than for myself.
This kind of weather can really stress your plants out if they are not liberally watered, and mulched.
I can not stress this point enough.

While most of us enjoy mulching our plants to keeps the weeds down, and adding nutrients to the soil {myself included}, it is just as important for helping to hold down moisture.  You will not get as much run-off or evaporation when mulching.

It can be as simple as your weekly lawn clippings and leaves from last fall. I will be blogging about simple home mulch and compost making in the very near future, but for now, get some grass clippings on those plants when the heat gets to this point!

Till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment